What is the most popular phobia in the world?
1) Arachnophobia – fear of spiders
Arachnophobia is the most common phobia – sometimes even a picture can induce feelings of panic. And lots of people who aren't phobic as such still avoid spiders if they can.
- 1) Claustrophobia: The Fear of Tight Spaces.
- 2) Social Phobia: The Fear of Judgment or Rejection.
- 3) Arachnophobia: The Fear of Spiders.
- 4) Acrophobia: The Fear of Heights.
- 5) Agoraphobia: The Fear of Open or Crowded Spaces.
- Arachibutyrophobia (Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth) ...
- Nomophobia (Fear of being without your mobile phone) ...
- Arithmophobia (Fear of numbers) ...
- Plutophobia (Fear of money) ...
- Xanthophobia (Fear of the color yellow) ...
- Ablutophobia (Fear of bathing)
The top 10 fears found in the 2022 survey suggest that Americans' fears center on five main topics: corrupt government officials (number 1), harm to a loved one (numbers 2 & 4), war (numbers 3, 5, & 10), environmental concerns (numbers 6 & 9), and economic concerns numbers 7 & 8).
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is one of the longest words in the dictionary — and, in an ironic twist, is the name for a fear of long words. Sesquipedalophobia is another term for the phobia.
- Acrophobia. Acrophobia is the fear of heights and it affects more than 6% of people. ...
- Aerophobia. ...
- Arachnophobia. ...
- Ophidiophobia. ...
- Cynophobia. ...
- Trypanophobia. ...
- Astraphobia. ...
Thanatophobia is an intense fear of death or the dying process.
|Arachnophobia||fear of spiders and other arachnids such as scorpions, a zoophobia|
|Astraphobia||fear of thunder and lightning|
|Atelophobia||fear of imperfection|
|Autophobia||fear of isolation|
We are born with only two innate fears: the fear of falling and the fear of loud sounds. A 1960 study evaluated depth perception among 6- to14-month-old infants, as well as young animals.
Examples of innate fear include fears that are triggered by predators, pain, heights, rapidly approaching objects, and ancestral threats such as snakes and spiders. Animals and humans detect and respond more rapidly to threatening stimuli than to nonthreatening stimuli in the natural world.
What are the 12 most common fears?
- Trypanophobia- fear of injections.
- Astraphobia-fear of thunder and lightening.
- Cynophobia- fear of dogs.
- Agoraphobia- fear of not being able to escape 8. ...
- Ophidiophobia- fear of snakes.
- Arachnophobia- fear of spiders.
- Nyctophobia- fear of the dark.
- Dentophobia-fear of the dentist.
Emetophobia can affect your whole life, yet most emetophobes don't tell their friends, a lot don't even tell close family members. This is why it's been coined the secret phobia.
Nyctophobia is an extreme fear of the dark. The name comes from the Greek word for night. Children and adults with nyctophobia may fear being alone in the dark.
Being weak or being perceived as weak – one of the biggest fears for men, as they tend to believe they are not supposed to be weak or even to be perceived as such. Being irrelevant – fear and stress in wanting their lives to mean something.
👥 Humans are born with only two innate fears that are universal to all human beings. According to psychologists, these 2 fears are the the fear of falling & the fear of loud noises. The rest, are based on our reaction, reciprocation, & experiences backed by socialisation.
Coulrophobia brings on feelings of fear when you see clowns or clown images. It's a specific phobic disorder that causes anxiety, a racing heart, nausea and profuse sweating. Most people can avoid clowns. Some need exposure therapy, a type of psychotherapy, to help manage their reactions to clowns and clown images.
Some people may experience multiple phobias. They can be broadly categorised into two groups: Specific phobias. Complex phobias.
Types of phobia
There are three broad phobia categories: specific phobias, social phobias, and agoraphobia.
- Arachnophobia – Arachnophobia is possibly the most well-known of all phobias. ...
- Ophidiophobia – Ophidiophobia is the fear of snakes. ...
- Acrophobia – Acrophobia, or fear of heights, affects over 20 million people.
Scolionophobia is an overwhelming fear of school. It is not a clinical diagnosis, but it's often a symptom of other anxiety disorders. School refusal is more likely to affect children during times of transition, such as starting middle school or high school.
What is the fear of pain?
Algophobia is an extreme fear of physical pain. While nobody wants to experience pain, people with this phobia have intense feelings of worry, panic or depression at the thought of pain. The anxiety of algophobia can also make you more sensitive to pain. It's most common in people with chronic pain syndromes.
Social anxiety disorder is an intense, persistent fear of being watched and judged by others. This fear can affect work, school, and other daily activities. It can even make it hard to make and keep friends. The good news is social anxiety disorder is treatable.
Young kids fear "pretend" things.
They fear what might be under their bed or in the closet. Many are afraid of the dark and at bedtime. Some are afraid of scary dreams. Young kids may also be afraid of loud noises, like thunder or fireworks.
Most common baby fears
In newborn babies, common baby fears include loud noises, falling, separation from parents, and strangers. At this stage, babies can't distinguish between objects accurately enough to be scared by looking at them. However, loud noises trigger the startle reflex.
- Going to the dentist. ...
- Snakes. ...
- Flying. ...
- Spiders and insects. ...
- Enclosed spaces Fear of enclosed spaces, or claustrophobia, plagues most people, even those that would not readily list it as their greatest fear. ...
- Mice. ...
- Dogs. ...
- Thunder and Lightning.
Fear is an “unpleasant” emotion or anxious concern formed from our anticipation or awareness of danger. There is also another viewpoint of fear attributed to God that many may not associate as fear, and it is a fear of God that is inspired by reverence or awe of Him, His power, and His love.
Having fears about falling in later life is very common and often distressing. It can limit your life in many ways, but help is available to overcome your fear and anxiety.
a phobia may be a learned response that a person develops early in life from a parent or sibling (brother or sister) genetics may play a role – there's evidence to suggest that some people are born with a tendency to be more anxious than others.
'A to Z' List of Phobias.
|Arachibutyrophobia||fear of peanut butter sticking to roof of mouth|
|Arachnophobia||fear of spiders|
|Astraphobia||fear of being struck by lightning|
|Astrapophobia||fear of thunder and lightning|
Common fears include fear of the dark, burglary, war, death, separation or divorce of their parents, and supernatural beings (such as ghosts and monsters). Suggestions for helping your child include: Let your child know that you take their fears seriously.
What is Cacophobia?
What is cacophobia? Cacophobia is an intense fear of ugliness. The condition is a specific phobia (fear), which is a type of anxiety disorder. People with cacophobia might be afraid of looking ugly themselves, or they might worry about seeing something they consider to be ugly.
Visiosubrideophobia is a fear of smiley faces.
It is very rare and uncommon, but the fear of bananas or bananaphobia does exist. ... According to this news report, a woman had been scared of bananas all her life, so much so that she could not stand being in the same room as them without feeling nauseated each time. ' See, see you lifelong doubters.
Causes of Bananaphobia
Only a handful of people are known to suffer from the fear of bananas from all over the world. Most cases begin in childhood, when one has been forced to eat bananas by parents or caregivers to an extent that leads to stomach distress or vomiting.
What is porphyrophobia? Porphyrophobia is an extreme fear of the color purple. It's a type of chromophobia, which is a fear of colors. People with porphyrophobia may experience severe anxiety when they see or think of purple in any form, or it might be a reaction to specific shades of purple.
People who harbor a Friday the 13th superstition might have triskaidekaphobia, or fear of the number 13, and often pass on their belief to their children, he noted.
Thanatophobia is an extreme fear of death or the dying process. You might be scared of your own death or the death of a loved one. Psychotherapy can help most people overcome this disorder. Appointments 866.588.2264. Request an Appointment.
- Ablutophobia | Fear of bathing. ...
- Agoraphobia | The Fear of Open Spaces. ...
- Arithmophobia | Fear of math. ...
- Chirophobia | Fear of hands. ...
- Chloephobia | Fear of newspapers. ...
- Eisoptrophobia | Fear of mirrors. ...
- Ergophobia | The Fear of Going to Work. ...
- Globophobia | Fear of balloons.
- fear of spiders, or arachnophobia.
- fear of flying in an airplane, or aviophobia.
- fear of elevators, or elevatophobia.
- fear of heights, or acrophobia.
- fear of enclosed rooms, or claustrophobia.
- fear of crowded public places, or agoraphobia.
- fear of embarrassment, or katagelophobia.